Out of the frying pan!!

New software releases/updates, and general software reviews

Re: Out of the frying pan!!

Postby DaveS » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:25 am

And so the Saga continues :!:

I installed Windows 7 32Bit, loaded all my astro software, no problems. :th:

However, when I came to install the drivers for the H9 and Lodestar, they wouldn't install *bang*

I downloaded the latest 32 Bit drivers from the SX website, and put then in a folder. The text document with them stated not install the drivers from the original disk, as this would place them in the Win Sys32 folder, which was fine for XP, but not for Win 7. I then directed the installer to the folder with the drivers.

The install process started and failed, stating that there was a problem with the INI file.

After multiple attempts, I gave up in frustration at 01.00Hrs and went to bed sad1 .

However, before I did, I posted the whole nightmare scenario on the SX Yahoo Group.

This morning there was a reply from Terry Platt that gave reasons for all of the problems, with both Win 7 64bit and Win 7 32bit. It appears that the 64bit drivers as located on the SX website, do not allow two SX cameras to be operated simultaneously, but there was no information provided to say that it didn't. :!:

Terry said that he had this morning, posted new 64bit drivers, that would now allow two cameras to operate together. A bit late now, as I've installed Win 7 32bit *bang*

He also said that the 32bit drivers that worked with 32bit XP, wouldn't work with 32bit Win 7, but that I should have downloaded the 32bit drivers from the Vista section, and used those. Albeit there is nothing on the website that said to do this. *bang*

Terry has e-mailed me the correct 32bit drivers, which I'll install later.

The 'bottom line' is that it would seem that I needn't have bothered uninstaling Win 7 64bit and installing 32bit, as SX have now (today) posted new 64 bit drivers to replace the problematic 64bit drivers. Why do I feel like a customer who has been used as a bit of a Guinea Pig software tester :!:

The whole thing has been wastefully time consuming and very frustrating ang01

Dave
Meade 8" LX200ACF, WO FLT 110, SXVR-H16, SXVF-H9, SX Lodestar, DMK21,Meade LPI, NEQ6 Pro Synscan mount, and Observatory.

Web Site: davesastronomy/
DaveS
Site Admin

Postby bazza » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:41 am

Dave, I know it's a real PITA, but if I were you, I would reinstall Windows 7 64 bit version.
If you have the capability for 64 bit, then use it.
I appriciate it'll be like watching paint dry..........

Barry.
10" LX200R OTA, SBIG ST-10XME, AO-8 and Takahashi FSQ-85EDX (Baby Q), SBIG ST-2000XM, on a Losmandy G11 (Ovision Worm fitted) in a 7ft fibre glass observatory.
bazza

Postby DaveS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:10 pm

I have done so Barry, as under Win 7 32bit I couldn't get EQMOD to 'register' with ASCOM.

Thinking that Win 7 32 might be the problem, I reformatted the HDD, and did a fresh install of Win 7 64bit, but the EQMOD problem remains.

A bit odd really, as it worked with the 64bit before I unistalled it, but not now that I have re-installed it. :scr:

The good news is, that Terry's new 64bit SX drivers, do now allow both the H9 and the Lodestar to operate within the same program, which was the problem that prompted to try Win 7 32bit. :!:

I just need to find out why EQMOD won't now 'talk' to ASCOM, and then I should be up and running. I hope :!: .

Stayed away from it today, and went up to the boat instead, and applied the antifouling paint below the waterline. Its now already to be lifted back into the water, which should happen sometime next week. :hap:

Dave
Meade 8" LX200ACF, WO FLT 110, SXVR-H16, SXVF-H9, SX Lodestar, DMK21,Meade LPI, NEQ6 Pro Synscan mount, and Observatory.

DaveS
Site Admin

Postby DaveS » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:22 pm

I have now managed to get EQASCOM to communicate with the NEQ6 via EQDIRECT in 64bit Win 7.

However, the next problem is with The Sky6. When installed from the original disks, Windows 'flags' up a message stating "this programme did not install correctly, obtain a version that is suitable for use with this version of Windows"

So now it would seem, that The Sky6 doesn't like Windows 7 *bang*

I beggining to feel that I'm going around in never ending circles here :scr:

I have posted the issuse on the Software Bisque user group, to which Daniel Bisque usually responds. I guess he'll come back and say "buy the SkyX" :!:

Dave

DaveS
Site Admin

Postby andrew s » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:38 pm

Dave – I must say that your trails and tribulations have a therapeutic effect making me feel calm and content with the occasional CCD camera/USB issue with my XP setup. Long may it remain stable and working. Andrew

PS Enjoy The SkyX
andrew s

Postby bazza » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:53 pm

Dave, I'm running TheSky6 on Windows 7 64 bit - never had a problem.
I can only suggest a complete uninstall of the TheSky6 and re-install?

Barry.
10" LX200R OTA, SBIG ST-10XME, AO-8 and Takahashi FSQ-85EDX (Baby Q), SBIG ST-2000XM, on a Losmandy G11 (Ovision Worm fitted) in a 7ft fibre glass observatory.
bazza

Postby DaveS » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:45 pm

I did that Barry, about three times *bang* *laugh02*

My 'post' on the Software Bisque help forum, brought about a response from Daniel Bisque.

He said that although the software is now some eight years old, it should install and work with Win 7 64bit, and that maybe the original CDs containing the software had developed a problem, albeit they are pristine.

At his suggestion, I downloaded a fresh copy from the Bisque website, and installed that.

It seems that Daniel's hunch was right, as this copy installed ok.

However, in keeping with this ongoing saga, I then met more problems *bang* .

Each time I opened The Sky6, Win 7 would ask if I wanted to run this 'unknown' software. I got around this issue by backing off the Win7 security setting.

Now onto the next problem. When I connect to the mount via The Sky6/ASCOM TeleAPI/EQASCOM/EQDIRECT, the Win 7 Control Panel opens at the 'Personalistaion' page, and overlays The Sky6 screen.

I can close the Control Panel, and then continue using The Sky6, but its a very irritating feature.

If I connect to the mount via EQASCOM and EQDIRECT on its own, then the problem doesn't occur.

This problem I have now 'posted' on the EQMOD forum, to see if its a known issue.

Andrew, Daniel Bisque did suggest The SkyX, but I'm ignoing that one ;-)

Dave

DaveS
Site Admin

Postby DaveS » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:17 pm

Having also 'posted' this latest issue on The Sky6 support forum, I've now had another response from Daniel Bisque.

It is a known problem, and its due to the fact that The Sky6 is not compatible with Windows 7 'theming', and attempts to change this. Windows 7 then repsonds by bringing up the 'desktop themes' personalisation section of the Control Panel.

However, it would appear that all is not lost, and there is a 'workaround', which Daniel explained.

I'll let you know if it works.

I have to say that Daniel Bisque is very quick to respond to problems, which is excellent customer service in 'my book', and akin to the level of customer service we get from Terry Platt of SX. :th:

Dave

DaveS
Site Admin

Postby DaveS » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:10 pm

Right, next chapter :!:

The Bisque 'workaround' for The Sky6 and Windows 7 did work, and I can now use The Sky with the new PC :th:

But!!, and in this saga there is always a 'but' :!:

I next tried installing the software to control the SX Filter Wheel, and guess what, it doesn't work with Win 7 64bit *bang*

So, I have now e-mailed Terry Platt to ask for a solution.

Dave

DaveS
Site Admin

Postby DaveS » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:50 pm

I am now really beginning to get seriously 'cheesed off' with whole damn software pantomime ang01

I don't think that SX yet have a solution to the Filter Wheel/Windows 7 problem, as I've heard nothing back from Terry, and he is always very quick to respond. Which leads me to believe that SX don't currently have an answer.

I'd like to think that my assumption is wrong, but I think that's wishful thinking. sad1

Its been a very frustrating uphill struggle to get everything to work under Win 7, but I had so far manged to find and obtain solutions to each problem.

Then, just when I think I've got it sorted, I fall at the 'last hurdle'. sad1

There is no way of operating the SX Filter Wheel manually, so here I am with the prospect of a clear nigth, with everything ready to go, and no way of operating the Filter Wheel. *bang*

I think I'll take up 'stamp collecting' :!:

Dave

DaveS
Site Admin

Postby DaveS » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:54 pm

I am now really beginning to get seriously 'cheesed off' with whole damn software pantomime ang01

I don't think that SX yet have a solution to the Filter Wheel/Windows 7 problem, as I've heard nothing back from Terry, and he is always very quick to respond. Which leads me to believe that SX don't currently have an answer.

I'd like to think that my assumption is wrong, but I think that's wishful thinking. sad1

Its been a very frustrating uphill struggle to get everything to work under Win 7, but I had so far manged to find and obtain solutions to each problem.

Then, just when I think I've got it sorted, I fall at the 'last hurdle'. sad1

So here I am with the prospect of a clear night, with everything ready to go, and no way of operating the Filter Wheel. *bang*

I think I'll take up 'stamp collecting' :!:

Dave

DaveS
Site Admin

Postby bazza » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:04 pm

Dave, looking at the Starlight Xpress website, there is an ASCOM driver for the SX filter wheel. Not sure if this is the driver you have already tried, but this should work with Windows 7 64 bit.

http://www.starlight-xpress.co.uk/ascom.htm

Barry.
bazza

Postby DaveS » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:15 pm

Tried that one Barry, and although it installs, it doesn't run under Win 7, and comes up with errors.

I have just heard back from Terry, and he has sent me something to try as an interim measure I think. Not sure how long the interim will be before SX bring out the necessary 64bit software.

I'm just about to go out to the obsy and try it.

It seems to me that pretty much all of astro equipment industry has been left behind by the introduction of the 64bit operating system, and its been left to the customers to chase around to find solutions.

Not impressed.

Dave

DaveS
Site Admin

Postby DaveS » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:29 pm

NO!!!!!!!! *bang* *bang* *bang*

Outlook Express saw the exe file that Terry sent, as a threat and subsequenty deleted it, stating:

"OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your e-mail: SX Filter Wheel.exe"

Dave

DaveS
Site Admin

Postby bazza » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:38 pm

Deep breaths Dave......one, two, three...................... grin01

Barry.
bazza

PreviousNext

Return to Software Discussion